Hackensaw BoysMake Press Inquiry
For touring musicians, the road is a harsh mistress. It takes an iron will to survive and a hard-headed love for music so deeply ingrained that the mere thought of a missed gig makes you nauseous. For 19 years, the Hackensaw Boys have plowed the asphalt, bringing their raw, gritty version of American roots music to the venues and streets that originally inspired them. Born in Virginia, along the same routes as fellow road warriors/street buskers Old Crow Medicine Show, the Hackensaw Boys have at times operated more as a collective than a band, sometimes boasting up to twenty members. What’s kept them together is a burning hot vision of American roots music brought kicking and screaming into a new age, fueled as much by a rowdy punk spirit as by the traditional masters that first inspired them. The Hackensaw Boys have always had more in common with bands like The Clash, who celebrated the working class roots of their own music, than they did with an overly-polished Nashville mainstream. As evidenced in the Hackensaws’ history, their music fit as easily as the backing band for Charlie Louvin as it did in backstage jams on tour with Modest Mouse or the Flaming Lips.
- Washington, DC
Roots stalwarts Hackensaw Boys stop in Washington, DC to play Kingman Island Bluegrass Festival on May 4
Hackensaw Boys will stop at the Kingman Island Bluegrass Festical in Washington, DC on May 4. In their 20th year as a band, Hackensaw Boys still deliver the spirited, rowdy live show that's come to be expected, performing both old favorites and new tunes, like their take on Blaze Foley's "Oval Room," out on Free Dirt Records. Proceeds benefit Open Doors, an organization offering aid to the homeless.
- 05/24/2019, Augusta, GA, Papa Joe's Banjo-B-Que View
- 05/23/2019, Charlotte, NC, Whitewater River Jam, 7:00pm View
- 05/04/2019, Washington, DC, Kingman Island Bluegrass Festival View
- 04/20/2019, Harrisonburg, VA, Food Truck Fest, 12:00pm View
- 04/19/2019, Lynchburg, VA, Academy Center of the Arts, 7:30pm View
- 12/31/2018, Winchester, VA, Bright Box Theater, 8:30pm View
- 12/30/2018, Thomas, WV, Purple Fiddle, 8:30pm View
- 12/29/2018, Washington, DC, Gypsy Sally's, 9pm View
- NPR Weekend Edition, Feature story, 04/23/2016, The Hackensaw Boys: Making Old-Time New Again See Text
- WCSH-TV Channel 6 in Portland ME, Interview, 08/18/2017, Hackensaw Boys and their Charismo come to Portland See Text
- Country Music, Album review, 02/01/2017, Hackensaw Boys "Charismo"
- No Depression, Feature story, 07/24/2016, The Hackensaw Boys Bring a Little ‘Charismo’ to Post-Brexit Britain See Text
- Cincinnati Enquirer, Event preview, 10/06/2016, The genre-bending bliss of Hackensaw Boys
- Americana Music Association, Mention, 12/19/2016, 2016 Americana Radio Chart Top 100
- The Burg, Event preview, 10/19/2016, Hackensaw Boys founder David Sickmen talks Bob Dylan, new album ahead of Amherst show
- Americana Rhythm, Feature story, 06/01/2016, Jamin’ With the Hackensaw Boys